Margam Castle, built between 1830-40 for C.R.M Talbot owner of the Margam and Penrice estates served as the main family residence until the early 1940’s.It replaced ‘Margam house’ the home Castle of Talbots ancestors demolished between 1786-1792. In 1977, the building already a ruin was severely damaged by fire. Today reroofed and partially restored, the public has access to the impressive Entrance hall and central staircase. The north wing of the building houses on Environmental Education centre run by the Field Studies Council.
The castle outbuilding contains the park offices, café shop,
water centre and toilets.